3 February 2013

Journal Page SDC85 Whatever Makes You Happy




Kaz created the challenge for this week's Stampotique challenge;"We all have our problems in life, but life is short and we should all find something to put a smile on our faces as often as we can. So whether you choose 'happy' as your theme, your word or you use a technique that makes you smile, show me your little bit of HAPPY!"

I did wonder about this as I am normally pretty happy but the last few months have been tough. Then middle son's motivating phrase "Positive Mental Attitude (PMA)" which is a family joke came to mind and the song lyrics "Be happy, don't worry". Lying in my sick bed I had been rereading some old magazines and in August 2012 Craft Stamper; Jaine Drake had an article about using old pieces of chipboard and texture paste as the base for a journal page. As one of my intentions this year is to use up arty and fabric stashes this seemed like a great way to use some of those early purchases like peel offs...
I found some peel offs, chipboard and letters and added them to a gesso base. I then put texture paste on top of these pieces and more gesso followed by some dylusion inks and distress stain.
At this point I was pleased although those large letters don't really keep their appearance with layers and the peel offs were much better. Then it went wrong...
I had an idea about using glossy accents and embossing powder and I hated it. I grabbed some alcohol thinner and rubbed it off (was not set yet) and gessoed over the offending pieces. I then added stamps from a number of Dylusions' sets that I stamped on dictionary pages and card,  journalling and more doodles. It was still a bit lacking in cohesion so I stamped Claudine Hellmuth dots over the whole page. When I was sticking the stamps on the page I used Golden Soft Gel medium (semi gloss) as it was all I had and noticed it made the colour much brighter and reacted with the distress. In the end I used my finger to add gel medium all over the page. I added journalling on waste sprayed paper and finished my page. It does show that if you make a hideous mistake in a journal you just get the gesso out and keep going until you are happy...
I had taken more photos but the gel medium has a slight sheen and the close up pictures did not really work.


4 comments:

  1. So glad you showed the progress pictures because I was wondering about how you did those hearts!!!

    Love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pages! Love the stap by stap pictures. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab pages, I hope making them really cheered you and you're feeling better now. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your journal pages are great, hope you are feeling better. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete